Party of 4 - NY sports and beach loving family!

Sunday, April 06, 2008

Peanut Oil?

This afternoon I wanted to get out of the house and go for a ride in Steve's new vehicle. We loaded up the kids and went to a local flea market. I am not a 'flea market' person, but Steve wanted to show David the old Star Wars toys that were sold there. When we arrived, it was very overcast, so most of the vendors were leaving or had left. We took a quick look around - saw there was nothing worth looking at - and got back in the car. I told Steve to hop on Rt. 9 south and we'd grab something to eat. A Cheeburger Cheeburger recently opened in Manalapan so we thought we'd go there. We had been to one back in 2004 while visiting my sister in FL. We got a front row spot, and I noticed a sign on the door. It read "All fried foods cooked in peanut oil". Now, that is a HUGE problem. Both Steve and David have SEVERE nut allergies and Ava can't be tested until she is 3. I went inside to grab a menu and see of there was anything they could have. The hostess told me we should not risk it when I explained my concern. So, I went back to the truck with the report. We decided to go somewhere else, so that my whole family did not die of analphylactic shock.
I can not believe that in this day and age, with all the nut (especially peanut) allergies there are, that a restaurant would cook with it. I mean, the chinese restaurants stopped using it as to not lose customers - why would a chain of restaurants START using it. What if a person was not aware that they had the allergy and ate there! As a restaurant, I would not want to take that risk. I will be writing an email to the franchise tomorrow.

2 comments:

Corey~living and loving said...

oh my heavens....yes that is nuts. LOL sorry for the pun. but seriously....who would risk it?

I have been away....and can not possible catch up, so I am starting fresh. Hope I didn't miss anything too important.
have a great day.

Anonymous said...

That is unBELIEVABLE- having peanut allergies is hard enough(MAckie has severe allergy) never mind a whole resturaunt cooking all there food in it. I oughta start a nut free business- there's money to be had in it- especially at halloween and other candied holidays, not to mention bakery products.