Party of 4 - NY sports and beach loving family!

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Head Doctor

So today was my first appointment with the neurologist. I have to admit I was a tad nervous - I did not want to hear bad news. I am happy to report that I had a real nice doctor that does not think I have Trigeminal Neuralgia afterall. That's right...I DO NOT have it! Instead, he believes my migraines are traveling along my trigeminal nerve and causing me pain in areas besides my head. His course of treatment is to wean me off the topamax and put me on depakote. The depakote works the same way, but without the crazy side effects. I'll take the depakote for about 6 weeks or until the pain is gone for good. Then, he wants to treat me with herbal supplements. He does not believe in having his patients on meds for life. I go back to see him in 5 weeks but will have an MRI and MRA in the mean time. If those come back clean - I'll be on the road to recovery :)

The ironic part of all this, is my friend Beth is a Usana rep and had recommended some herbal supplements for me just last week. So, I am one step ahead of the game!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad there is a plan in place and hopefully a light at the end of the tunnel for you..I'll be sending you good thoughts!