Party of 4 - NY sports and beach loving family!

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Second Opinion

I was sitting at my desk on Tuesday when I felt a pain in my right cheek. As the day went on, it got worse. I took some Advil, but is gave me no relief. So, I called my doctor and was given an appointment for after work. At the appointment we discussed a few things, mainly the pain in my face. One of the other topics was my migraine headaches. He upped my Imitrex dosage and called in into my pharmacy. As for the pain, he thought I could have one of my famous sinus infections or trigeminal neuralgia. As always, the pain had subsided when I was in his office. The plan was for me to call him if it occured again. That night I felt fine. We took Steve out for his birthday and all was good. Yesterday morning, however, I felt worse than I had on Tuesday. So, on my way into work, I called my Dr. back. Over the phone he diagnosed me with trigeminal neuralgia and called topomax and vicodin into the pharmacy. I could not wait to take the pain meds because I was in SO much pain. My co-worker thought I was going to jump out a window. The topomax is a preventative drug that he has me taking before bed. I took the pain pills with my lunch and after about a half hour, I felt better. Only problem was, I felt sick to my stomach and jittery. When I got home, I was so tired I passed out on the couch. The pain never came back last night and I took the topomax before bed. This morning I woke up fine, brushed my teeth and took a shower feeling fine. The pain started again while I was getting ready for work. Specifically after fixing my hair. When I got into the office, I called and made a dentist appointment. Basically to rule out TMJ and teeth issues. As I write to you now, I am in horrible pain. I am debating whether or not to take the pain meds. I know the pain will subside, but do I really want the side effects? I am also a nervous wreck. According to the information I found online, this condition is a potential sign of MS, a tumor or an aneurysm. I asked my doctor if I could see a nuerologist, but he wants to wait a week to see how I do on the topomax. I am not patient. I hate waiting. I need to know things now.

**UPDATE: Went to the dentist. He found that my jaw muscles are spazzing however, there is nothing wrong dentally. Whatever is going on with my nerve is causing my jaw muscle to spaz. UGH!!

2 comments:

Wendy said...

I sure hope everything turns out okay. Worry makes things worse so try to relax and take it easy.

eyes_only4him said...

I have bad TMJ too and I was going to say I bet it is some sort of nerve issue..

I sure hope the pain stops, because that can not be pleasant.