Party of 4 - NY sports and beach loving family!

Sunday, July 10, 2005

Hey now, You're an AllStar

The 2nd Annual Kenny Family Softball game was held yesterday at Johnson's Park. Mike, Laura-Ann, Steve and John arrived early to set-up. David and I arrived around 11:45 am. The game was to start at noon, but because of the rain on Friday night, the field was not in great shape and most of the people were not there yet. We started the game a little after 1 pm and it was great. I played right field and batted last in the line up. 2 balls were hit my way in the outfield and I did NOT catch them. I got up to bat 4 times and made 3 outs. I did not get any hits - I instead got a fielder's choice. Needless to say I am NOT an all-star. Steve on the other hand was 4 for 5 with 2 triples, a double and a single. His defense left a little to be desired, but was overall good. He earned the MVP award. I was very impressed with all the family that did play. After the game we went to start BBQing and noticed that we needed more charcoal, lighter fluid and batteries. I volunteered to go to Stop & Shop and took my cousin Jackie with me. While we were gone the heavens opened and it POURED! It was still raining when we got back and some of the guys were standing over the grill trying to keep it dry. The rain soon stopped and it was time to eat. Mr. Ursino (Tony) was the chef and the hot dogs and hamburgers were delicious - so were all the sides. There was fried chicken, baked beans, pasta salad, potato salad, fruit salad, chips and friggin dip. We had plenty to eat. I have to tell you that David was an absolute BEAR! He was so bad all day and very clingy. He would not let anyone take care of him but me. Steve did give me a much needed break by taking David to the Raritan River. I tried to get him to nap in the car but he was not having it. So, we put him in the stroller and took him back over to the baseball field to watch Mike, Steve, Joe, Tony, AnnaMaria and Jill hit balls. As soon as I sat on the bench the rain came again. I walked David and the stroller back to my car and this time he fell asleep (so did I)! Steve woke me up about 6:30 pm when he got off the field. By this time everyone had left the park except for the Ursino's and the Kenny's minus Kelly and Ken. There was a lot of beer left in the keg so we came back to my house. Steve made coffee and I made tea for those that were done drinking and we sat around talking - it was a real nice night. Someone came up with the idea of doing keg stands and sure enough almost everyone took their turn - that was a riot! The 2nd Annual Kenny Family Softball game was a huge success - Thanks Mike & Laura-Ann! Can't wait till next year. By the way, if you roast marshmallows over citronela candles, you won't get bites in your throat.

1 comment:

Laney said...

Laurie , you are sooo cheesy! But, yes Cara, you are an all star in my book, too!