Party of 4 - NY sports and beach loving family!

Sunday, July 17, 2005

An Adult Night Out

Steve and I had tickets to the John Mellencamp concert at PNC Bank Arts Center last night. Yesterday morning however, my cousins Mike and John came over to play ball with Steve in the park next to our house. It was unplanned. While they were gone I cleaned the house a little and printed some pictures. David had gone with them, until he was hit in the head with a line drive off the bat of one of my cousins (not pointing fingers). Thank God his head is hard - he is fine. Steve cooked hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill for lunch and then we all settled in the living room to watch the Yanks vs Red Sox game. Mike's wife Laura-Ann was with my cousin Jill getting fitted for her dress for Jill's wedding. The girls came by after. Once Laura-Ann arrived, Mike talked her into joining us at the Mellencamp concert, so I went on-line and purchased their tickets with Mike's credit card. John called his girlfriend to see if they could join us, but they had other plans. Jill left to take a nap and Mike and Laura-Ann left to get ready. I went upstairs to get ready myself. John left while I was up there. Once I was ready, Steve spent 5 minutes getting ready and we left to go pick up Mike and Laura-Ann on our way to drop David off at my parents. As soon as we got in the car, my cell rang and it was Mike. He told me they decided they were not going to the concert. Steve and I were bummed and upset. We thought #1, we got them in a fight and #2, they just wasted $60! We drove to my parents and dropped off David. We played with David on the golf course a little bit and when we were getting ready to leave, my Dad's phone rang. It was Mike looking for us because they have decided to go after all. We were THRILLED! We said our good-byes to David and left. We stopped at the liquor store for tailgaiting supplies and headed to PNC. After a parking episode, we got a spot and soon Mike and Laura-Ann found us. John Fogerty was opening at 7 pm and we heard the show start while we were tailgaiting. He was not anyone we cared about so we did not rush to get into the concert. We went in about 7:45 pm. We were so surprised to see how crowded it was. Our seats were lawn seats and there was nowhere to sit! We ended up sitting under a tree by the fence at the bottom of a hill which meant we could not see the stage. You could still hear the music just the same. To our delight, John Fogerty was great! We knew every song he played, I was shocked. Ok, about the hill that was in front of us. Well, it was slippery. So to Steve and Mike's delight they were counting the people that fell and laughing at their misery. They had a lot of laughs and a lot of counting to do. People fell climbing up and going down. Some girls had skirts on and gave quite a show! Now the fence, the bathroom lines were insane, so guys started to "go" behind us on the fence. Steve and Mike would yell to try and deter them but it did not always work. Then there was the girl that did not want to wait in line for the bathroom. I was in the bathroom myself when this happened, however got the story upon my return. Apparently, she unzipped her pants while walking down the hill and squatted behind us near the fence and was there a while. I forgot to mention the 'Neil Young' character that was sitting by us - can you say WACKY - he stared at the girl doing her thing. After all that, John Mellencamp came on. He was ok - I thought he would be a lot better. He played most of the good stuff last and by that time, we had walked up the hill and could now see the stage. He looked good but did not give an encore which rubbed us the wrong way. We left and drove Mike and Laura-Ann to their car. We followed them back to their house with a stop to Dunkin Donuts on the way. We sat on their deck talking and drinking our coffees/hot chocolates. It was a great end to a really great time.

No comments: