Party of 4 - NY sports and beach loving family!

Friday, May 27, 2005

Not a good patient

All my life I have NEVER been a good patient (with the exception of giving birth to David). I do not like needles, blood, bodily fluids, x-rays, tests, etc. I don't even like medicine and ointments if they taste bad or sting when you apply them. My family knows this about me, especially my Aunt Mary. So luckily when I made my appointment for the endoscopy I had this past Wednesday, she called a friend of hers that is a nurse in the CARES building and asked her to take special care of me. Although that friend was off Wednesday, she made it known that I needed TLC - and I got it. I was still a nervous nelly, but the nurses that prepared me and were with me in recovery made me as comfortable as possible. Now, as for the procedure itself - well I was in a cold sweat until they knocked me unconscious. The room they put you in for the procedure is super small and extra cold. That is really all I can remember - oh yeah, except for the nasty spray they put on your throat and the anesthesiologist giving me some stuff in my IV. My husband Steve waited in the waiting room for me until he was called in to the recovery room to watch me wake up all whacked out! He was a good supporter & a big help. My doctor came in to tell me he did not see any signs of what they were looking for, so he sent some samples to pathology and will call me with the results - yahoo! Once I was awake enough, I walked out to our car and he drove us home. They offered me a wheelchair, but I felt good enough to walk out. When I got home my Mom and David were there to greet me. They were both so happy I was home. My Mom was worried because she knew I was worried - David just thought it was great I was home. He quickly caught on that I was not myself - it was cute. The rest of the day I felt horrible. My body went into shock from the anesthesia while I was napping and I woke up sweating and shaking. After that I was extremely weak so Steve made me eggs for dinner (that is what I wanted) and eventually I got up the strength to shower. I felt a tad better but could not wait to go to bed. When I woke up Thursday morning I felt more like myself again. I went into work, but I was very depressed. It was not until after lunch that I really felt back to normal. Today I am my old self again - thank goodness. So remember if you hear a screaming, crying voice in a doctors office or medical facility - it does not mean it is a child, it could be me!

No comments: