Party of 4 - NY sports and beach loving family!

Tuesday, August 05, 2008

What is on your face?

When I got off the treadmill I was looking for some old pictures in the basement. David came down to ask me if he had blood coming out of his eye. Although it's an odd question, I looked and saw nothing. I figured he was a 5 year old boy with a crazy imagination. Until he came back down with a red line from his eye to his neck that he drew with red marker! When I saw him I immediately asked him what happened to which he responded that it was blood. I quickly informed him it was not and asked if it was in fact marker. We went to the computer desk where I could see the drawer open and the red wipe off marker uncapped. After I scrubbed the red line off his handsome little face - we sat down. And had a talk. His behavior lately had not been normal. He is usually a very good boy. Aside from the normal 'boy stuff' he is never in trouble. I put him on my lap and held him tight. I explained how sometimes when something is bothering someone, they act out. I asked him if this was what he was doing. He then opened up and told me that going on the bus is making him scared. He is also nervous about having to do projects at home like his friend Harlee who is going into 1st grade told him would happen. I calmly explained to him that the bus would be fun and that he would meet some new friends. I also let him know that the first day I would be there to put him on and take him off the bus. As for the projects, he could always count on his Dad and I to give him some assitance if he got stuck. This talk must have helped him immensely, because he fell asleep within 5 minutes.

My baby boy...growing up so fast...going through so many changes...I wish I could hold him on my lap forever...

4 comments:

Corey~living and loving said...

I'm so glad you came to the root of the problem. I'd suggest keeping up with talks about school coming up, and asking him if he has any concerns or questions.

gina said...

What a wise momma you are. :) Too often it is too easy to just yell about the behavior and not try and solve the problem. I'm lucking out this year all four are looking forward to their new grades.
So far. ;)

beach mama said...

Awwwww. That would so be just like my Kid. He gets all sensitive to change too. He never slept with any type of lovey for the first 3 years of his life, not even a paci. Then, the night before he is supposed to start nursery school last year he HAS to sleep with his stuffed Mickey Mouse and he has slept with it ever since.

MaryBeth said...

What a great mom you are!! Perhaps I should try a direct approach like this with the new tantrum behavior my oldest (3 yo) is having since Daddy left for Iraq. Might solve our problems too... thanks for the unintentional tip!