Party of 4 - NY sports and beach loving family!

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

David's 1st Day of Pre-School

We both survived, but it was not easy. The first thing I have to tell you is that Puppy is missing. For those of you that have not met Puppy, he is David's security blanket. He is brown with spots and very cute. I bought him for David when I was away in Madison, WI on business in May 2004. David does everything with Puppy, but most importantly he sleeps with him and uses him for comfort. So, when Steve and I realized last night that Puppy was missing, we put out an ABP by turning our house upside down. We had no luck. My parents came in to East Brunswick to see David off and I told them about our missing Puppy and they tried looking for him. Again, no luck. When it was time to leave, my Mom went with me to school. I think she was trying to give me moral support - Thanks Mom!! David was excited when we got there. When we walked in, we stopped in the office to find out where he needed to go. We walked him to the room that all the kids go to until 8 am when they then go to their classrooms. As soon as David saw the kids he dropped my hand like a hot potato and went to play. I said good bye from a far and went to his classroom to put away his stuff. Before leaving, I went back to the office to make sure they knew about his peanut allergy and Epi-Pen. Miss Debra (David's teacher) was in there so we got to meet her. She was very nice and reassured me there are no peanuts in school. I had brought a replacement Puppy (blonde) with me and had to put it in David's cubbie and when I was finally leaving the building I heard David crying "Mommy". My Mom tried to tell me it was not him, but we both knew it was. I got in my car and my Mom got in hers. I cried my way to Newark. Once I was at work and was working, the day seemed to pass quickly. I did call the school at about 1:30 pm and talked to Miss Debra. She said he cried on and off through out the morning but enjoyed playing outside. He was napping while we spoke. When 4 pm came, I could not wait to leave and go pick up David. Thank goodness there was no traffic and I reached David's school a little after 5 pm. He was in his classroom when I got there. When I walked in, he was playing and did not notice me until he heard my voice. When he saw me, he had a huge smile on his face and he came over to show me the toy he was playing with. I asked him what he did today and he said "I farted and burped". So I replied, "Did you say Excuse Me?" and he said "Yes". I gathered his things, picked up his mail and we went home. As soon as we got home, Steve pulled up. He ran over to Steve and gave him a big hug. They immediately went to the backyard to play and found our pool had collapsed. We think the rain and the slant it was on had something to do with it. So, while I cooked dinner, David and Steve put the pool back up. We ate dinner on the deck and talked to David about his day. We asked him if he liked school and his answer was "I cried Mommy, Mommy all day". He kept repeating that answer through dinner. He even told Laura-Ann and Mike when they called! My heart is officially broken. I have mixed feelings about sending him again on Thursday. Everyone tells me it gets better, but it is so hard to hear him say he was crying for me all day. I do know that he had fun at school, I saw it when I picked him up. I just do not know if 2 full days of school is the answer. I will give it another try on Thursday and see how it goes. I'll let you know. Boy am I glad today is over!

2 comments:

Laney said...

Hey! You got a ticker! Awesome!

I'm sorry today was difficult for you. Give it another try on Thursday and maybe he will do better. I know for me, the boys all cried when I left them in the church nursery, but they did get used to it. It will come to be a normal part of his schedule, it will get better.

In the meantime, here's a big hug and I hope you find puppy!

Jersey Girl said...

Whew! Hard day. Tough decision. I'll pray for you as you work through this.