Party of 4 - NY sports and beach loving family!

Saturday, February 18, 2006

A family that races together, stays together


Today I walked in the Mid Winter Beach Run in Manasquan with 15 or so of my other family members. Most of my family has been doing these races together for a few years. After walking in Oct. with my Mom for Alzheimer's and enjoying myself, I decided to do another one. This one benefited the Manasquan First Aid Squad. If you live in NJ, you know that today was the coldest day yet of 2006 and you'd know that Manasquan is down the shore. So, it was at least 5 degrees colder down there and much more windy - oh and did I mention that is was flurrying? I bundled up and power walked. The race was 2 miles long, with the last 1/4 mi ON the beach. That's right - walking in the sand. Now that is a task without shoes and in the summer, so forget about it when you are wearing sneakers and it's winter. I really gave my hind quarter a workout! I walked with my Aunt Judy and her brother Mike (who are also my cousins - that story at another time). We finished in 28 + minutes. I could not wait to get a drink of water and while I was drinking it, I ate a snowflake. It felt good, because it was so cold. After the race, we all went to Legget's bar for some food and drinks. I had a margarita and Steve fed me ziti, meatballs, pierogies and bread because David fell asleep on my shoulder. When he woke up, I took him to the beach to replace his seashell that he dropped and broke. We were freezing but had fun looking for the shells. I could not wait to get home and take a nap. It was a great afternoon and I can not wait to do the next race.

1 comment:

Laney said...

Good for you! There is nothing as satisfying as finishing a race!