Party of 4 - NY sports and beach loving family!

Friday, August 18, 2006

5 things you can only feel as a Mom


  • Recently I said to my husband "I feel bad for David". He looked at me like I had 3 heads and asked "Why?". I explained that when the baby arrives he will not be 'THE ONE' anymore and I don't want his little heart broken. Steve said he understood but that I should not worry. When I asked if he felt bad for him he simply said "No".
  • David is a boy and LOVES to play rough. His favorite people to rough house with are my cousins - ages 22 to 28 and of course his 33 year old father. Every once in a while ( not on purpose) he gets knocked around pretty good and I gasp in fear. It is only then that he gets upset. If I were to keep my gasp and fear to myself, he's get up and attack his attacker. Steve is constantly telling me to not be so sensitive or I'll turn David into a wimp.
  • Ever since we brought David home from the hospital, I have jumped up to soothe his every little wimper or hard cry. I know that as a baby that is ok, but know he is 3 and I still can't bear to hear him upset. I am smart enough to know, that at 3 years old he is playing me but that cry just breaks my heart. I remember one specific instance when we were trying to get to sleep and David was being a bear. The last straw came when he hurt me somehow. Steve took him out of our room, threw him in his bed and locked our door. David got out of his bed, walked back to our room and tried to get in. When he realized the door was locked he started to wail. Steve would not let me go get him so I started to wail. After a good 5 minutes, I could not take it anymore and climbed over Steve to get David. When I opened the door he was sitting on the floor a mess. I got down on the floor, held him in my lap and he fell fast asleep.
  • I work a full time job and everyday, I feel guilty. I know that I HAVE to work in order for us to live, but I still feel the guilt. I hate to leave David in the morning whether he's asleep or awake. While I am at work, I am constantly wondering what he is doing and wishing I could be spending my day with him having fun. It's not that I do not want to work, it's that I would rather just be Mom. Mom is a the only title I want.
  • Being pregnant is wonderful. I have not gotten morning sickness or any of the other bad things that can come. I feel great and if I can say so myself, I do not look too bad. There is nothing like the feeling of the babies 1st 'kick'. Although you can have your husband feel your belly from the outside, he has no idea the sensation on the inside. Same goes for the birth. Obviously there is pain, but he has NO idea how it feels, no matter how hard he tries to say to does. A kick in the testicles, is just NOT a comparrison. I am not complaining about the pain - to be honest I have forgotten all about it. Then there is that unbelievable feeling of seeing your child for the first time. That immediate out pouring of love and bonding that happens after all the pain is over. I almost feel bad for Steve and the other Dads in the world. I do not think that moment is the same for them. I do believe they have a similar feeling, but nothing like a Mother.

1 comment:

Laney said...

What a thoughtful, lovely post! You made me get all teary. *sniff,sniff*

:-)